Saturday, January 27, 2007

Fakers

To most of you, who called me friend
thanks for nothing
To those of you, who smiled at me, and laughed behind my back
thanks for nothing
To the very few, whose words have never failed me
thanks for everything

I am not who you think I am
or who your friends said I'd be
My outside does not at all begin to reflect the inside
and the words conceal the real thoughts

I've never asked for a friend
nor have I asked for lies
but I continue to recieve both
and in return, you're getting nothing
I will not play these games
I will not take heart what you say
and to those to whom this is directed
I'm sure you already know who you are

You are not my friend, my companion
You are not my confidante, nor a soft shoulder
Hellos, and goodbyes, and still your words mean nothing
You think I smile because I believe your empty promises
but I'm smiling because I am one step ahead of you
and damn, it feels good to be ahead

I am a mother, a daughter, and a sister
what do you have to be proud of?
certainly not your clear disregard for depth,
for, self worth
for, pride
in nothing
you are
nothing

I found a friend, in the least likely place
and was surprised to find
she kept her word
friend, she said
and friend she kept

I do not look for charity nor pity in her
simply the comfort of knowing
her soul
her heart
her being
cares
compassion

The thing she has that many of you lack

I am not sexy
popular
nor do I party
drink, smoke, drugs

I have pride, compassion
mother, daughter, sister
friend

No comments:

Post a Comment